Views in the eastern archipelago : Borneo, Sarawak, Labuan &c. &c. &c. : from drawings made on the spot by Captn. Drinkwater Bethune, R.N.C., Commander L.G. Heath, R.N., and others / the descriptive letter-press by James Augustus St. John, Esqr., author of manners & customs of the Ancient Greek ; drawn on stone by J.W. Giles.
- Additional Title(s):
Borneo, Sarawak, Labuan
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, Augt., 1847.
[London] : Printed by McLean & Co., 70 St. Martins Lane, 
- Physical Description:
- 3 portfolios : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS601 .S7 1847+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Includes  pages of text and 25 plates (listed at end).
Some lithographs after Mr. H. Williams.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 548
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In original parts. Bound in publisher's original illustrated paper wrappers reproducing, with the illustrated title page reproduced on the front of each cover. Inscribed: Mr. Flower from the Author. Inscribed (part 3): Mr. Hawes ftom the Author. A single leaf prospectus of the work is bound in at front of Part I.
- Subject Terms:
- Borneo -- Description and travel.Borneo -- Pictorial works.Charles, Rajah of Sarawak, 1829-1917.Flower, Mr. -- Pres. insc. from the author.Hawes, Mr. -- Pres. insc. from the author.James, Rajah of Sarawak, 1803-1868.Labuan -- Description and travel.Labuan -- Pictorial works.Malaya -- History -- 1786-1867.McLean & Co., printer.Sarawak -- Description and travel.Sarawak -- Pictorial works.
- Prospectuses -- England -- London -- 1847.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1847.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Kini-Balu-Mountain. North coast of Borneo
- Kuching, Sawawak, Borneo. The settlement founded by James Brooke, Esqr.
- Ceremony of hoisting the British flag on the Island of Labuan
- Dayak Suspension Bridge, Sawawak
- View from Mr. Brookes bungalow, looking down on the river Sarawak
- The Steamer Phlegethon and the boats of Rear Admiral Sir Thomnas Cochrane's Squadron, repelling an attack from the forts at Borneo Proper
- View from Mr. Brookes Bungalow looking up the River Sarawak
- Bird's eye view of the City of Brune, from the Talan Subuk
- View in the Jungle, Singapore
- Dayak Village, Borneo
- View of the coal seam on the Island of Labuan
- View of Santubong Mountain. Sarawak District
- Cutting the Boom at Malludu
- View from Mr. Brooke's Bungalow
- Flag Staff Point . Labuan. N.W. coast of Borneo
- View looking down the river. Borneo Proper
- Dayak Bridge. Sarawak
- Jungle View, Sarawak
- Mr. Brooke's Bungalow, Sarawak
- View of Singhi Mountain, Sarawak District
- Santubong, from Tanjong Po
- Singapore, from Esplanade
- Mr. Brooke's first residence, Sarawak
- View of Matang Mountain. Sarawak District.