Observations upon the antiquities of the town of Herculaneum : discovered at the foot of Mount Vesuvius : with some reflections on the painting and sculpture of the ancients : and a short description of the antiquities in the neighbourhood of Naples / by Mr. Bellicard ; enriched with forty-two plates, designed and engraved by the author.
- London : Wilson and Durham, 1753 [1754?]
- Physical Description:
- vii, 236 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5775 B45 1753Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations by Jerome Charles Bellicard.
Translated from the French.
The date of publication is apparently wrong, as the 1st French ed. was published in 1754.
The book includes several articles on Herculaneum and Mount Vesuvius by different writers. The 2d section, on the paintings and sculpture found in Herculaneum, was written by C. N. Cochin, jr.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Greco-Roman.Herculaneum (Extinct city)Vesuvius (Italy)Wilson and Durham -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1753.
Etchings -- 1753.
YCBA Collections Search
Bellicard, Jérôme Charles, 1726-1786, Observations upon the antiquities of the town of Herculaneum , 1753 [1754?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.