The antient and modern history of the famous city of York : and in particular manner of its magnificent cathedral, commonly call'd, York-Minster : also, an account of St. Mary's Abbey, and other antient religious houses and churches ... the lives of the archbishops of this see : the government of the northern parts under the Romans ... of the kings of England and other illustrious persons, who have honour'd York with their presence ... down to the third year of the reign of His present Majesty King George the Second : to which is added, a description of the most noted towns in Yorkshire ... / the whole diligently collected by T.G.
- [York] : Sold by T. Hammond, ... in York ... and by A. Bettesworth ... London, 1730.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 256,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., map ; 17 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690 Y6 G34 1730Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: This copy is extra-illustrated with extra woodcuts.
BAC: Spine title reads: Gent's Hist. of York.
BEIN 1997 1082: Bookplate: Lewis Perry Curtis. Autograph: Chas. [Humi?], 1806. Imperfect: wanting all after p. 256 and 8 of the 10 plates.
BAC: Other books written by Thomas Gent mounted on last page.
T.G. = Thomas Gent.
Head and tail pieces.
List of subscribers  p. at end.
BM v. 10, p. 313
ESTC (RLIN) T26479
- Subject Terms:
- Bettesworth, A. -- Publisher.Curtis, Lewis Perry, 1900-1976. -- Bookplate.Hammond, T. -- Publisher.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1730.York (England) -- History.York (England) -- Pictorial works.York Minster -- History.
- Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Gent, Thomas, 1693-1778, The antient and modern history of the famous city of York , 1730
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.