Kirby, John, 1690-1753, The Suffolk traveller , 1764
- The Suffolk traveller / first published by Mr. John Kirby of Wickham-Market, who took an actual survey of the whole county, in the years 1732, 1733, and 1734.
- The second edition, with many alterations and large additions, by several hands.
- London : Printed for J. Shave ... and sold by T. Longman .... 1764.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 296 p.,  leaves of plates (fold). : maps ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 S9 K5 1764Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: This copy is interleaved with ms. notes and the text is extensively annotated in several unknown hands. Bookseller's note suggest notes are by William Upcott and George Alfred Carthew.
"Published by subscription...under the editorship of the Rev. Richard Canning." - Dict. Nat. Biog.
Published anonymously in 1829 under title: A topographical and historical description of the county of Suffolk. Cf. Dict. Nat. Biog.
"A list of subscribers": p. iii-xvi.
- Subject Terms:
- Brooke, Francis Capper, 1810-1886 -- Provenance.Carthew, George Alfred, 1807-1882.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1764.J. Shave -- Publisher.Suffolk (England) -- Description and travel.Suffolk (England) -- History.Upcott, William, 1779-1845.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.