Britton, John, 1771-1857, An historical account of Corsham House, in Wiltshire, the seat of Paul Cobb Methuen, Esq. , 1806
- An historical account of Corsham House, in Wiltshire, the seat of Paul Cobb Methuen, Esq. : with a catalogue of his celebrated collection of pictures dedicated to the patrons of the British Institution, and embracing a concise historical essay on the fine arts : with a brief account of the different schools, and a review of the progressive state of the arts in England : also biographical sketches of the artists, whose works constitute this collection / by John Britton ; embellished with a view and plan of the house.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Spine title: Account of Corsham House
- London : Printed for the author, and Joseph Barrett, Bath. Sold by Longman and co. Paternoster-Row; W. Miller, Albemarle-Street; J. Taylor, Holborn; also by all the booksellers in Bath; by Coombs, Chippenham; Collins, Salisbury, &c., 1806.
[London] : J. Wright, printer, St. John's Square, Clerkenwell, 
- Physical Description:
- , 108 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W7 B84 1806 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W7 B84 1806 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Joseph Clarendon Smith and John Roffe; after John Britton.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is bound in publisher's original brown paper covered boards. Lacks frontispiece. Bookplates: John L. Marks. Chippendale, Earlswood and armorial bookplate of Richard Becket Beaumont. Inscription: To John Thos. Magner Esq. from author with esteem.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in later marbled boards, with publisher's original spine label. Lacks the engraving of Corsham House present in copy 1. Two newspaper clippings laid in: the first an obituary for Francis, Duke of Bedford, second a description of his will.
SML,Y J495 Su84 808: Bound with Sutherland, George Granville Leveson Gower, 1st Duke of, 1758-1833. Catalogue raisonne ... London, 1808.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections.Artists -- Dictionaries.Beaumont, Richard Beckett -- Bookplate.British Institution.Britton, John -- Pres. insc to John Thos. Magner.Collins -- Publisher.Coombs -- Publisher.Corsham Court (Wiltshire, England) -- History.Longman & Co. -- Publisher.Magner, John Thos. -- Pres. insc. from John Britton.Marks, John L. -- Bookplate.Methuen, Paul Cobb, 1752-1816 -- Art collections.Miller, W. -- Publisher.Painting -- Private collections -- Great Britain.Wiltshire (England) -- History.Wright, J. -- Printer.
Engravings -- 1806.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.