IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Britton, John, 1771-1857, An historical account of Corsham House, in Wiltshire, the seat of Paul Cobb Methuen, Esq. , 1806
An historical account of Corsham House, in Wiltshire, the seat of Paul Cobb Methuen, Esq. : with a catalogue of his celebrated collection of pictures dedicated to the patrons of the British Institution, and embracing a concise historical essay on the fine arts : with a brief account of the different schools, and a review of the progressive state of the arts in England : also biographical sketches of the artists, whose works constitute this collection / by John Britton ; embellished with a view and plan of the house.
- Additional Title(s):
Spine title: Account of Corsham House
- London : Printed for the author, and Joseph Barrett, Bath. Sold by Longman and co. Paternoster-Row; W. Miller, Albemarle-Street; J. Taylor, Holborn; also by all the booksellers in Bath; by Coombs, Chippenham; Collins, Salisbury, &c., 1806.
[London] : J. Wright, printer, St. John's Square, Clerkenwell, 
- Physical Description:
- , 108 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W7 B84 1806 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W7 B84 1806 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Engravings by Joseph Clarendon Smith and John Roffe; after John Britton.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is bound in publisher's original brown paper covered boards. Lacks frontispiece. Bookplates: John L. Marks. Chippendale, Earlswood and armorial bookplate of Richard Becket Beaumont. Inscription: To John Thos. Magner Esq. from author with esteem.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in later marbled boards, with publisher's original spine label. Lacks the engraving of Corsham House present in copy 1. Two newspaper clippings laid in: the first an obituary for Francis, Duke of Bedford, second a description of his will.
SML,Y J495 Su84 808: Bound with Sutherland, George Granville Leveson Gower, 1st Duke of, 1758-1833. Catalogue raisonne ... London, 1808.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections.Artists -- Dictionaries.Beaumont, Richard Beckett -- Bookplate.British Institution.Britton, John -- Pres. insc to John Thos. Magner.Collins -- Publisher.Coombs -- Publisher.Corsham Court (Wiltshire, England) -- History.Longman & Co. -- Publisher.Magner, John Thos. -- Pres. insc. from John Britton.Marks, John L. -- Bookplate.Methuen, Paul Cobb, 1752-1816 -- Art collections.Miller, W. -- Publisher.Painting -- Private collections -- Great Britain.Wiltshire (England) -- History.Wright, J. -- Printer.
Engravings -- 1806.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.