Leech, John, 1817-1864, Pictures of life and character , 1863-1869
Pictures of life and character : from the collection of Mr. Punch : [1st]-5th series / by John Leech.
- London : Bradbury and Evans, 1863-1869.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. : ill. ; 32 x 46 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 186Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Mrs. Robert LoveAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Houfe, S. John Leech and the Victorian scene, see p. 151
BAC: Index included in volume 1 and 3. Advertisement inserted on last page of volume 5. Volumes 1-3 and 5 bound in original tan boards with title and illustration on front cover. Volume 4 bound in original green boards.
"The appearance of Pictures of life and character between March 1853 and October 1854, brought him [Leech] even wider fame. In these oblong quarter books, his best Punch work was gathered together for another audience who did not know his engravings in the magazine; a cosmorama of squires, huntsmen, pretty housemaids, urchins, querulous spinsters and swells met inside these covers to divert thousands of Victorian families."--Houfe, on the original edition.
- Subject Terms:
- Bradbury and Evans -- Publisher.Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Wood engravings -- 1863-1869.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.