Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877, The pencil of nature , 1989
The pencil of nature / by H. Fox Talbot.
- Facsimile ed.
- [New York : Hans P. Kraus, Jr.], 1989
- Physical Description:
- 1 box : ill., facsims. (1 col.), ports. ; 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR144 .T35 1989+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Facsimile (in 6 fascicles as originally issued) of the first photographically illustrated book to be published commercially (by Longmans, London, from Jun. 24, 1844, to Apr. 1846, though the fascicle wrappers were uniformly printed with date 1844).
Title from box label.
"This facsimile represents an idealized copy ... It is a composite of the best surviving elements to which we had access"--P. 3 of introductory volume.
Limited ed. of 250 copies.
Included in the box with the facsimile is a commentary volume (92 p.) with t.p. reading: H. Fox Talbot's The pencil of nature, anniversary facsimile : introductory volume, historical sketch, notes on the plates, census / by Larry J. Schaaf.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 194 of 250.
- Subject Terms:
- Calotype.Photography -- Early works to 1850.Photography -- History -- 19th century.Talbot, William Henry Fox, 1800-1877.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.