Picturesque views on the River Wye : from its source at Plinlimmon Hill, to its junction with the Severn below Chepstow : with observations on the public buildings, and other works of art, in its vicinity / by Samuel Ireland ...
- London : Published by R. Faulder, New Bond Street; and T. Egerton, Whitehall, 1797
- Physical Description:
- xii, 159,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, map, portrait ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 W97 I73 1797Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The plates are aquatints, printed in sepia, except for the portrait of John Kyrle (a line engraving).
Includes woodcut tail-pieces.
Last page is blank.
English short title catalogue, N34299
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, page 271
The frontispiece is a map of the "Course of the River Wye from its source to its junction with the Severn below Chepstow."
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 544
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary tree calf. Bookplate: James Shuter.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles -- Great Britain.Chepstow Castle (Chepstow, Wales)Kyrle, John, 1637-1724.Shuter, James -- Bookplate.Wye, River (Wales and England) -- Description and travel.Wye, River, Valley (Wales and England) -- Description and travel.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Plates (from list on pages xi-xii): Source of the Wye, Plinlimmon Hill
- Nanerth Rocks
- Market at Aberystwith
- Glasebury Bridge, &c.
- Hay, Brecknockshire
- Hay, castle
- Clifford Castle
- Bradwardine, Herefordshire
- Ross from Ashwood
- Market house, &c. Ross
- Portrait of John Kyrle
- Wilton Castle
- Goodrich Castle
- Simmond's Rock, &c.
- Monmouth, from Hadnock
- Monnow Bridge
- Remains of Monmouth Castle, &c.
- Monmouth Priory
- Monmouth, from a neighbouring hill
- Rhaglan Castle
- St. Briavals'
- Tintern Abbey
- Interior of ditto
- Chepstow Castle and bridge
- Chepstow, &c. from Persfield
- Chepstow Castle, from below the bridge
- Red Rocks.