Picturesque views on the River Wye : from its source at Plinlimmon Hill, to its junction with the Severn below Chepstow : with observations on the public buildings, and other works of art, in its vicinity / by Samuel Ireland ...
- London : Published by R. Faulder, New Bond Street; and T. Egerton, Whitehall, 1797
- Physical Description:
- xii, 159,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, map, portrait ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 W97 I73 1797Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The plates are aquatints, printed in sepia, except for the portrait of John Kyrle (a line engraving).
Includes woodcut tail-pieces.
Last page is blank.
English short title catalogue, N34299
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 544
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, page 271
The frontispiece is a map of the "Course of the River Wye from its source to its junction with the Severn below Chepstow."
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary tree calf. Bookplate: James Shuter.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles -- Great Britain.Chepstow Castle (Chepstow, Wales)Kyrle, John, 1637-1724.Shuter, James -- Bookplate.Wye, River (Wales and England) -- Description and travel.Wye, River, Valley (Wales and England) -- Description and travel.
- Plates (from list on pages xi-xii): Source of the Wye, Plinlimmon Hill
- Nanerth Rocks
- Market at Aberystwith
- Glasebury Bridge, &c.
- Hay, Brecknockshire
- Hay, castle
- Clifford Castle
- Bradwardine, Herefordshire
- Ross from Ashwood
- Market house, &c. Ross
- Portrait of John Kyrle
- Wilton Castle
- Goodrich Castle
- Simmond's Rock, &c.
- Monmouth, from Hadnock
- Monnow Bridge
- Remains of Monmouth Castle, &c.
- Monmouth Priory
- Monmouth, from a neighbouring hill
- Rhaglan Castle
- St. Briavals'
- Tintern Abbey
- Interior of ditto
- Chepstow Castle and bridge
- Chepstow, &c. from Persfield
- Chepstow Castle, from below the bridge
- Red Rocks.