IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Baker, James, topographer, A picturesque guide through Wales and the Marches , 1794-1795
A picturesque guide through Wales and the Marches : interspersed with the most interesting subjects of antiquity in the principality / by James Baker.
- Second edition; with considerable alterations and additions.
- Worcester : J. Tymbs ..., 1794-1795.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA735 B35 1794Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Volumes I and II are second edition, 1795. Volume III is without an edition statement and has imprint: [London] : Printed for the author, and sold by Robson ..., 1794.
Title page to the third volume is numbered 'I' but with the two extra numerals added in ink. This was probably added by the publishers only with the second edition. Some of the plates in this volume were issued after the completion of the book as the plates are dated May 1, 1797.
Ballinger, John "An artist topographer" in The Library, 3d ser., vol. 7 (1916), p. 116-143
For more information on the bibliographical description of this set, see Abbey: for more information on Baker, see Ballinger.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 514
BAC: This copy is the Abbey copy.
Illustrations by Francis Jukes, William Ellis, John Bluck, James Ross; after Julius Ibbetson, James Baker, James Wathen, Mrs. Williams, T. Cartwright, J. H. Wright, Thomas Bennett, T. Jones.
BAC: Binder's ticket (v. 1): Bound by Faulkner, Green Street, Grosvenor Square.
Engraved t.p. (v.1)
- Subject Terms:
- Baker, James -- Publisher.Faulkner -- Binder.Jones, Evan Davies -- Bookplate.Tymbs, J. -- Printer.Wales -- Guidebooks.Wales -- Pictorial works.Worcester (England) -- Imprints -- 1794-1795.
- Aquatints -- 1794-1795.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.