Pembroke, Henry Herbert, Earl of, 1734-1794, A method of breaking horses, and teaching soldiers to ride , MDCCLXI 
A method of breaking horses, and teaching soldiers to ride : designed for the use of the army / by Henry Earl of Pembroke.
- London : Printed by J. Hughs, Lincoln's-Inn-Fields, MDCCLXI 
- Physical Description:
- , 112 pages,  folded leaves of plates : illustrations ; 16 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsUE470 .P46 1761 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsUE470 .P46 1761 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 55
English short title catalogue, T117180
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary brown speckled calf. With the bookplate of R.E. Martyr, who worked in the Board of Trade at Pembroke Houses, where the author had lived. One the second front flyleaf Martyr writes of the vestigial equestrian accessories of the building.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards. With numerous marginal annotations and a manuscript appendix,  pages at end, by Stephen Riou (1720-1780). Manuscript illustrations (in pen an black ink) on added blank leaves, presumably also by Riou. Two presentation inscriptions on second front flyleaf:  The gift of Major Somerville to Captain S. Riou Canterbury, 1 August 1761.  This book formerly the property of Col. Stephen Riou & containing his manuscript notes, is presented to his great grandson Riou Bouson by his cousin George Pelsand Dawson of Osgoodby, Yorkshire, 30 July 1850.
- Subject Terms:
- Bouson, Riou -- Presentation inscription from George Pelsand Dawson.Cavalry -- Early works to 1800.Clark, Robert Sterling, d. 1956 -- Ownership.Dawson, George Pelsand -- Presentation inscription to Riou Bouson.Horsemanship -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Training -- Early works to 1800.Martyr, R. E. -- Bookplate.Martyr, R. E. -- Provenance.Riou, Stephen -- Ms. notes.Riou, Stephen -- Presentation inscription from Major Somerville.Somerville, Major -- Presentation inscription to Stephen Riou.Tayler, R. -- Autograph.
- Etchings -- 1761.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century .
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.