IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hayley, William, 1745-1820, The life of George Romney , 1809
The life of George Romney / by William Hayley, Esq.
- Chichester : Printed by W. Mason, for T. Payne, Pall-Mall, London, 1809.
- Physical Description:
- , 2, , 416 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.R7 H43 1809+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Jules D. Prown, MAH 1971View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BEIN Beckford 254: Bookplate of Earl Archibald Philip Primrose Rosebery. Binding of William Beckford. William Beckford's copy, with his penciled notes.
BEIN Tinker +1189: Bookplate: Ex libris Chauncey Brewster Tinker. 33 cm. Imperfect: water-stained. Pagination differs: 1 p.l., 2 p., 2 l., 416,  p., 1 l. ("Contents" and "Epistles to Romney" half-title on  p., 1 l. at end).
BEIN 2014 +253: Imperfect: front cover detached; portion of title page cut away, with no loss of text. Presentation inscription to William Guy from the author, dated June, 1809. Inscription of T. Ferrers Guy, dated September, 1876. Stamp of Tom Ferrers Guy.
Stipple engravings by Caroline Watson, W. Haines, and Meadows, with a medallion portrait of Romney engraved by Watson after Maria Denman.
Engravings by William Blake, Robert Cooper, and A. Raimbach. For a description of Blake's engraved reproduction of Romney's The Shipwreck, see Essick.
Tinker Library, 1189
Essick, R.N. William Blake's commercial book illustrations, p. 94-96
Includes "An elegy on the death of George Romney" and "Epistles to Romney", both in verse.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half calf and marbled boards. Bookplate: Jules David Prown.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain -- Biography.Beckford, William, 1760-1844 -- Binding.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1809.Guy, Tom Ferrers -- Autograph.Guy, Tom Ferrers -- Stamp.Guy, William -- Presentation inscription from W. Haley.Hayley, William, 1745-1820 -- Presentation inscription to W. Guy.Mason, W. -- Printer.Payne, T. -- Publisher.Prown, Jules David -- Provenance.Romney, George, 1734-1802.Rosebery, Archibald Philip Primrose, Earl of, 1847-1929 -- Bookplate.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1809.Tinker, Chauncey Brewster, 1876-1963 -- Bookplate.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.