Hayley, William, 1745-1820, The life of George Romney , 1809
- The life of George Romney / by William Hayley, Esq.
- Chichester : Printed by W. Mason, for T. Payne, Pall-Mall, London, 1809.
- Physical Description:
- , 2, , 416 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.R7 H43 1809+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Jules D. Prown, MAH 1971Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Beckford 254: Bookplate of Earl Archibald Philip Primrose Rosebery. Binding of William Beckford. William Beckford's copy, with his penciled notes.
BEIN Tinker +1189: Bookplate: Ex libris Chauncey Brewster Tinker. 33 cm. Imperfect: water-stained. Pagination differs: 1 p.l., 2 p., 2 l., 416,  p., 1 l. ("Contents" and "Epistles to Romney" half-title on  p., 1 l. at end).
BEIN 2014 +253: Imperfect: front cover detached; portion of title page cut away, with no loss of text. Presentation inscription to William Guy from the author, dated June, 1809. Inscription of T. Ferrers Guy, dated September, 1876. Stamp of Tom Ferrers Guy.
Stipple engravings by Caroline Watson, W. Haines, and Meadows, with a medallion portrait of Romney engraved by Watson after Maria Denman.
Engravings by William Blake, Robert Cooper, and A. Raimbach. For a description of Blake's engraved reproduction of Romney's The Shipwreck, see Essick.
Tinker Lib. 1189
Essick, R.N. William Blake's commercial book illustrations, p. 94-96
Includes "An elegy on the death of George Romney" and "Epistles to Romney", both in verse.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half calf and marbled boards. Bookplate: Jules David Prown.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain -- Biography.Beckford, William, 1760-1844 -- Binding.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1809.Guy, Tom Ferrers -- Autograph.Guy, Tom Ferrers -- Stamp.Guy, William -- Presentation inscription from W. Haley.Hayley, William, 1745-1820 -- Presentation inscription to W. Guy.Mason, W. -- Printer.Payne, T. -- Publisher.Prown, Jules David -- Provenance.Romney, George, 1734-1802.Rosebery, Archibald Philip Primrose, Earl of, 1847-1929 -- Bookplate.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1809.Tinker, Chauncey Brewster, 1876-1963 -- Bookplate.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.