The vale-royall of England, or, The county palatine of Chester illustrated : wherein is contained a geographical and historical description of that famous county, with all its hundreds and seats of the nobility, gentry, and freeholders; its rivers, towns, castles, buildings ancient and modern. Adorned with maps and prospects, and the coats of arms belonging to every individual family of the whole county / performed by William Smith, and William Webb, gentlemen. Published by Mr. Daniel King. To which is annexed, an exact chronology of all its rulers and governors both in church and state, from the time of the foundation of the stately city of Chester, to this very day: fixed by eclipses, and other chronological characters. Also, an excellent discourse of the Island of Man; treating of the island. Of the inhabitants. Of the state ecclesiasticall. Of the civil government. Of the trade; and, of the strength of the island.
- Additional Title(s):
Vale-royall of England
Engraved title page: Discription historicall & geographicall of the covntie palatine of Chester ...
Discription historicall and geographicall of the covntie palatine of Chester ...
Short treatise of the Isle of Man
County palatine of Chester illustrated
- London : Printed by John Streater, in Little S. Bartholomews, and are to be sold at the Black-Spread-Eagle at the West-End of Pauls, 1656.
- Physical Description:
- 12 unnumbered pages, 99 pages, 7 unnumbered pages, 239 pages, 11 unnumbered pages, 55 pages, 7 unnumbered pages, 34 pages, 18 unnumbered leaves of plates (5 folded) : illustrations, maps, coats of arms ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.C6 K56 1656+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- With an additional title page, engraved: A discription historicall & geographicall of the countie palatine of Chester & illustrated with diuers figures cutt in copper & published by Daniel King of Chester 1656.
Two engravings signed by Daniel King. One map signed by Wenceslaus Hollar.
A variant of the edition with imprint: London, printed by John Streater in Well-Yard in Little S. Bartholomews, and are to be sold by the severall booksellers of London. 1656.
"The vale-royall of England" (caption title) begins new pagination on 2A1.
"Chronicon Cestrense" (caption title, dedication signed "Samuel Lee") begins new pagination on 4A1. Within this series, "A short treatise of the Isle of Man" (dedication signed "James Chaloner") has separate dated title page and pagination.
Signatures: pi1 A-N⁴ O1 ²A⁴(-A4) 2A-3G⁴ 3H² 3I⁴(-3I4) 4A-4G⁴ 4H⁴(-4H4) 4I-4M⁴ 4N1 [$2 signed (-O1; ²A1 signed 'O')].
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books (2nd edition), K488
English short title catalogue, R200961
BEIN Beckford 274: William Beckford's copy, with his penciled note.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled calf. Inscribed: Sum Richardi Smÿth de Guerley. Ao. 1657. Lightly annoted in margins. Bookplates: A. Fenwyke; Sir Jhn Cavendish.
- Subject Terms:
- Beckford, William, 1760-1844 -- Binding (BEIN Beckford 274)Cavendish, John, Sir -- Bookplate.Chadwyck-Healey, Charles E. H. (Charles Edward Heley) Sir, 1845-1919 -- Bookplate (BEIN Beckford 274)Cheshire (England) -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Cheshire (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Cheshire (England) -- Genealogy -- Early works to 1800.Cheshire (England) -- History -- Early works to 1800.Coats of arms.Cole, William, 1714-1782 -- Autograph.Cole, William, 1714-1782 -- Ms. notes.Cunliffe, Henry -- Bookplate.Fenwick -- Bookplate.Folliott, George -- Bookplate (BEIN Byc 028)Heraldry -- England -- Cheshire -- Early works to 1800.Isle of Man -- Early works to 1800.Ketton-Cremer, R. W. (Robert Wyndham), 1906-1969 -- Ms. notes.Smÿth, Richardi -- Provenance, 1657.
- Decorated initials.
Engravings -- 1656.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1656.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Marbled edges (Binding)
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
King, Daniel, -1664?, The vale-royall of England, or, The county palatine of Chester illustrated , 1656
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.