Report of a geological survey of Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota : and incidentally of a portion of Nebraska Territory : made under instructions from the United States Treasury Department / by David Dale Owen, United States Geologist.
- Additional Title(s):
Illustrations to the geological report of Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota
- Philadelphia : Lippincott, Grambo & Co., 1852.
Philadephia : C. Sherman, printer, 19 St. James Street
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQE73 .O94 1852+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The second volume has title: Illustrations to the geological report of Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota ... It includes 69 leaves of plates, including "twenty-seven quarto plates of organic remains, eight of which are executed by the medal-ruling process ..." (see List of illustrations, volume 1).
Final report, addressed to the commissioner of the U.S. General land office.
Printer's statement from title page verso.
BEIN Zc20 +852ow: Text and Atlas of plates bound in same vol.; atlas lacks t.p. Bookplate of Earl of Ilchester. Some of the ill. are hand-colored.
BAC: British Art Center copy in two volumes. Bound in publisher's original purple cloth; blind-stamped.
- Subject Terms:
- Birds -- Minnesota.Birds -- Wisconsin.Botany -- Minnesota.Botany -- Wisconsin.Geology -- Mississippi River Valley.Ilchester, Earl of -- Bookplate.Paleontology -- Mississippi River Valley.
- Hand-colored illustrations.
Medal engravings -- 1852.
Steel engravings -- 1852.
Steel engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1852.
Lithographs -- 1852.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1852.
Wood engravings -- 1852.
- Geological survey of Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota / D.D. Owen
- Geological report of a survey of portions of Wisconsin and Minnesota, made during the years 1847, '48, '49 and '50 / J.G. Norwood
- Geological report of that portion of Wisconsin bordering on the south shore of Lake Superior, surveyed in the year 1849 / Charles Whittlesey
- Geological report of local, detailed observations, in the valleys of the Minnesota, Mississippi, and Wisconsin rivers, made in the years 1848 and 1849 / B.F. Shumard
- Description of the remains of extinct Mammalia and Chelonia, from Nebraska Territory / Joseph Leidy.
- Appendix. I. Description of new and imperfectly known genera and species of organic remains / D.D. Owen
- II. Descriptions of one new genus and twenty-two new species of Crinoidea, from the subcarboniferous limestone of Iowa / D.D. Owen and B.F. Shumard
- III. Summary of the distribution of orders, genera, and species in the northwest
- IV. Additional chemical examinations / D.D. Owen
- V. Systematic catalogue of plants of Wisconsin and Minnesota / C.C. Parry
- VI. Systematic catalogue of birds observed in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota / Henry Pratten.