A catalogue of the magnificent, rare, and valuable library, (of 20,000 volumes) : illustrated in many instances, with two and three sets of proof and other plates : generally of the most choice editions : selected with great care, and the utmost liberality, during the last forty years : also, of the books of prints, galleries of art, curious missals and manuscripts, the Persian and Chinese drawings, &c. &c. &c. : which will be sold by auction, by Mr. Phillips, at the Abbey, on Tuesday, the 9th of September, 1823, and nine following days : on Friday, the 3d of October, & four following days : and on Thursday, 23d October, 1823, & four following days, (Sundays and Mondays excepted) : at half-past twelve each day precisely.
- Additional Title(s):
At head of title: The valuable library of book, in Fonthill Abbey
- [London] : [Printed by J. Davy], 
- Physical Description:
- ,113, , -175, , 291-342, , 231-278, , 176-222, , 343-391,  pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .P45 1823Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Frontispiece is an engraving of Fonthill Abbey by Thomas Higham; after Stedman Whitwell.
The book is bound in the order of the days of sale, and not in the order of the pagination and signatures.
In three parts, each with its own title page. Part 2: The unique and splendid effects of Fonthill Abbey ... furniture ... bijouterie [etc.] Part 3: The pictures and miniatures at Fonthill Abbey.
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-2492, Br-2497
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 10510, 10514, 10519, 10522, 10525
Date of sale: September 9-18, 1823. October 3-7, 1823., October 23-27, 1823.
Place of sale: Fonthill Abbey.
BAC: British Art Center complete with all three parts. Annotated in ink with sale prices and buyers' names for some lots. Bookplate: Rupert Gunnis.
BEIN Beckford 415 Copy 3: Consists of Part 1 only, in original wrappers.
BEIN Im B388 S823F copy 2: This copy has only 2 p.ls. (the "Invitation to visitors" [2 leaves] and "Books ... esteemed ... most choice" [1 leaf] not being present. Priced in ms. throughout.
Lewis Walpole Library: Consists of Part 1 only.
SML,Y X348 P541 1823/9/9: Has some prices in ms.
MUDD,AUCT X348 P541 1823/9/9: Autograph on flyleaf: P. D.[?] Wickham. [Address indecipherable: N. H. -----] Autograph on front board, verso: Sidney C. Eas[tman?] Chicago, Ill. Catalog has considerable ms. notes, some prices, some names of buyers, and some drawings in ms.
- Subject Terms:
- Adams, Elliott R. -- Autograph (BEIN Beckford 415 copy 2).Art auctions -- England -- Wiltshire -- Catalogs.Beckford, William, 1760-1844 -- Library -- Catalogs.Decorative arts -- Catalogs.Drawing, British -- Catalogs.Drawing, European -- Catalogs.Eastman, Sidney Corning, 1850-1930 -- Autograph.Fonthill Abbey -- Library.Furniture -- Catalogs.Gunnis, Rupert -- Bookplate.Macclesfield, Earls of -- Ownership.Painting, British -- Catalogs.Painting, European -- Catalogs.Private libraries -- England -- London -- 18th century.Rare books -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.Sadleir, Michael, 1888-1957 -- Bookplate (BEIN Beckford 415 copy 2).Stewart, Edward -- Bookplate (BEIN Beckford 415 copy 1).
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Auction catalogs -- 1823.
Engravings -- 1823.
Blind stamps (Provenance)
Auction catalogs -- 1823 09 09-10 29.
Auction catalogues -- 1823 09 09-10 29.
YCBA Collections Search
Phillips, H., -1840 , A catalogue of the magnificent, rare, and valuable library, (of 20,000 volumes) , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.