The American wanderer : through various parts of Europe, in a series of letters to a lady (interspersed with a variety of interesting anecdotes) / by a Virginian.
- Additional Title(s):
Half-title: The American wanderer, in a series of letters.
- Dublin : Printed by B. Smith, for W. and H. Whitestone, T. Walker, W. Wilson, G. Gilbert, J. Beatty, L. White, P. Byrne, R. Burton, and J. Cash, MDCCLXXXIII 
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, , 288 pages ; 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917 .A44 1783Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "These unstudied travelling sketches were written ... in the years 1776 and 77."--Page [v].
Reprint of the London edition of the same year. "By a loyalist refugee." See: Sabin.
Includes three letters "to a noble lord," the first of which is signed A. W. L. (p. 261-288)
English short title catalogue, T110636
BEIR Edf 776Ab: Undeciphered inscription on t.p.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary tan calf; stamped in gilt on front cover: Honble. A.C. Hamilton. Bookplate: Arthur F.C. Cole. Autograph of Cole on title page.
- Subject Terms:
- Beatty, J. -- Publisher.Burton, R. -- Publisher.Byrne, P. -- Publisher.Cash, J. -- Publisher.Cole, Arthur F.C. -- Bookplate.Europe -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Gilbert, G. -- Publisher.Hamilton, A.C. -- Provenance.Smith, B. -- Printer.W. and H. Whitestone -- Publisher.Walker, T. -- Publisher.White, L. -- Publisher.Wilson, W. -- Publisher.
- Travel literature.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.