Bowler, Thomas William, 1813-1869, The Kafir wars and the British settlers in South Africa , 1865
- The Kafir wars and the British settlers in South Africa / a series of picturesque views from original sketches by T.W. Bowler ; with descriptive letterpress by W.R. Thomson.
- London : Day and Son ; 1865.
Capetown and Port Elizabeth : J.C. Juta ; 1865.
Graham's Town : C. Nixdorff ; 1865.
E dinburgh : Hill, 1865.
- Physical Description:
- 24 leaves,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT827 .B695 1865+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographs drawn on stone by R.M. Bryson, F. Jones, and J. Needham; after Thomas William Bowler.
Lithographs printed with three tints: black, blue for sky, and brown for ground. Printed by Day & Son.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original green blind-stamped pebbled cloth, with title stamped in gilt on front cover.
- Cape Point, H.M.S. Birkenhead -- Main Street, Port Elizabeth -- Market Square, Port Elizabeth -- Graham's Town, from the Bay Road -- Kowie, looking seaward -- Fort Beaufort -- Fuller's Hoek, Waterkloof in the distance -- Blinkwater Hill -- Mount Misery, Waterkloof -- Macomo's Den, Waterkloof -- Blinkwater Drift -- Fort Armstrong, Kat River -- Peffer's Kop -- Chumie -- Kieskamma, near Fort Cox, Amatola in the distance -- Burns' Hill Missionary Station -- Yellowwood Drift, Lenye Valley -- Wolf River -- Boma Pass -- King William's Town.
- Subject Terms:
- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- History.Day & Son -- Printer.Day and Son -- Publisher.Eastern Cape (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Hill -- Publisher.Juta, J.C. -- Publisher.Kaffraria.Nixdorff, C. -- Publisher.South Africa -- History -- Frontier Wars, 1811-1878.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1865.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.