The Kafir wars and the British settlers in South Africa / a series of picturesque views from original sketches by T.W. Bowler ; with descriptive letterpress by W.R. Thomson.
- London : Day and Son ; 1865.
Capetown and Port Elizabeth : J.C. Juta ; 1865.
Graham's Town : C. Nixdorff ; 1865.
E dinburgh : Hill, 1865.
- Physical Description:
- 24 leaves,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT827 .B695 1865+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Lithographs drawn on stone by R.M. Bryson, F. Jones, and J. Needham; after Thomas William Bowler.
Lithographs printed with three tints: black, blue for sky, and brown for ground. Printed by Day & Son.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original green blind-stamped pebbled cloth, with title stamped in gilt on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- History.Day & Son -- Printer.Day and Son -- Publisher.Eastern Cape (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Hill -- Publisher.Juta, J.C. -- Publisher.Kaffraria.Nixdorff, C. -- Publisher.South Africa -- History -- Frontier Wars, 1811-1878.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1865.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Cape Point, H.M.S. Birkenhead
- Main Street, Port Elizabeth
- Market Square, Port Elizabeth
- Graham's Town, from the Bay Road
- Kowie, looking seaward
- Fort Beaufort
- Fuller's Hoek, Waterkloof in the distance
- Blinkwater Hill
- Mount Misery, Waterkloof
- Macomo's Den, Waterkloof
- Blinkwater Drift
- Fort Armstrong, Kat River
- Peffer's Kop
- Kieskamma, near Fort Cox, Amatola in the distance
- Burns' Hill Missionary Station
- Yellowwood Drift, Lenye Valley
- Wolf River
- Boma Pass
- King William's Town.