Bowles's art of painting in water-colours : exemplified in landscapes, flowers, &c. : together with instructions for painting on glass and in crayons : explained in a full and familiar manner : with particular directions for preparing the colours agreeable to the practice of the most eminent masters / by the author of Bowles's artist's assistant.
- Additional Title(s):
Art of painting in water-colours.
- Ninth edition : corrected and greatly improved with additions.
- London : Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his Map and Print Warehouse, No. 69, St. Paul's Churchyard, 1787.
- Physical Description:
- [i]-iv, [5-7], 8-80 p. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2420 B68 1787Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Authorship of The Artist's assistant is ascribed to Carington Bowles.
First published as: 'The whole art of painting in water-colours'.
Another ninth edition issued in 1788 by Robert Sayer.
BAC: Date of publication partially erased, then written in pencil on t.p.
BAC: In original marbled wrappers, as issued. Label mounted on cover: Bowless's art of painting in water colours.
BAC: Publisher's advertisements: p. [vii] and p. 74-80.
- Subject Terms:
- Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793 -- Publisher.Taylor, Frances -- Autograph, October 24, 1804.Watercolor painting -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Watercolor painting -- Technique -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793, Bowles's art of painting in water-colours , 1787
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.