Burlington, Richard Boyle, Earl of, 1694-1753, Plans, sections, and elevations of Chiswick House and the Assembly Rooms, York, [approximately 1735?]
- Plans, sections, and elevations of Chiswick House and the Assembly Rooms, York.
- [England?], [approximately 1735?]
- Physical Description:
- 11 prints in 1 volume ; sheets 50 x 70 cm, in volume 50 x 39 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 52Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Visual Materials
- Each of the 11 prints is mounted on a stub, and folded in half.
Engraving nos. 1-8 are signed by Paul Fourdrinier.
The plans and elevations of Chiswick House faithfully reproduce the original drawings by Henry Flitcroft, ca. 1727 (see: Harris, John. The Palladian revival : Lord Burlington, his villa and garden at Chiswick. [London] : Royal Academy of Arts, 1994, pp. 138-154). The images depicted in print numbers 6, 7, 8 were published in Designs of Inigo Jones (London : William Kent, 1727). The remaining prints may have been intended for the same publication; Harris speculates that the sections may not have been published "because the interiors had not been settled by publication in May 1727" (p. 150).
The prints of the Assembly Rooms appear to be versions of those published in: Drake, Francis. Eboracum: or, The history and antiquities of the city of York, from its original to the present times. London : W. Bowyer, 1736.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards.
- 1. Chiswick, plan of the basement floor (engraved version of Harris no. 37) -- 2. Chiswick, plan of the first floor (engraved version of Harris no. 38) -- 3. Assembly Rooms, plan -- 4. Assembly Rooms, section -- 5. Assembly Rooms, elevation -- 6. Chiswick, elevation of the side front, facing the old house (engraved version of Harris no. 44) -- 7. Chiswick, elevation of the garden front (engraved version of Harris no. 46) -- 8. Chiswick, elevation of the entrance front (engraved version of Harris no. 43) -- 9. Chiswick, section through the Blue Velvet Room, Red Velvet Room and Round Cabinet Room on the side front to the garden (engraved version of Harris no. 55) -- 10. Chiswick, section through the Sculpture Gallery and Cabinets accross the garden front (engraved version of Harris no. 52) -- 11. Chiswick, longitudinal section through Portico, Tribunal Passage, Saloon and Sculpture Gallery (engraved version of Harris no. 51)
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- London -- Pictorial works.Assembly Rooms (York, England) -- Pictorial works.Chiswick House (Hounslow, London, England) -- Pictorial works.Classicism in architecture -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1735.
Etchings -- 1735.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.