Sketches of the country, character, and costume, in Portugal and Spain : made during the campaign, and on the route of the British army, in 1808 and 1809 / engraved and coloured from the drawings by the Rev. William Bradford, A.B. of St. John's College, Oxford, Chaplain of Brigade to the expedition ; with incidental illustration & appropriate descriptions, of each subject = Esquisse du pays, du caractere et du costume, en Portugal et en Espagne, prises pendant la campagne et durant la marche de l'armee angloise, en 1808 et 1809, gravees et colorees d'apres les desseins du Rev. Guillaume Bradford, A.B. du college du St. Jean d'Oxford, Chapelain de brigade attache a l'expedition, avec les explications et les descriptions propres a chaque sujet.
- London : Printed for John Booth, Duke Street, Portland Place, by Howlett and Brimmer, Frith Street, Soho Square, [between 1821 and 1835]
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDP22 .B73 1821+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatint engravings by J. Clark; after William Bradford.
The firm of Howlett and Brimmer traded from 1821 to 1835. Cf. Brown. London publishers and printers.
Text in English on recto of page with French translation on verso.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 109
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 421
"Sketches of military costume in Spain and Portugal, intended as a supplement to the Rev. Mr. Bradford's Sketches of country, costume, and character, in Portugal and Spain" has special t.p.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 137
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-stamped red morocco. British Art Center copy has bound with it: Revue historique et chronologique des evenements memorables de la guerre dans la peninsule = Chronological and historical retrospect of the memorable events of the war in the peninsula. London, 1813.
- Subject Terms:
- Booth, John -- PublisherCostume -- Spain.Howlett and Brimmer -- PrinterMilitary uniforms -- Portugal -- Pictorial works.Military uniforms -- Spain -- Pictorial works.Portugal -- Description and travel.Spain -- Description and travel.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- [between 1821 and 1835]
YCBA Collections Search
Bradford, William, 1779 or 1780-1857, Sketches of the country, character, and costume, in Portugal and Spain , [between 1821 and 1835]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.