Vectis scenery : being a series of original & select views exhibiting the picturesque beauties and places of particular interest in the Isle of Wight / drawn from nature & engraved by George Brannon, many years a local resident ; to which are prefixed a complete topographical description and the general tours of the island ; embracing every information in the least degree useful to strangers.
- Additional Title(s):
Views in the Isle of Wight
- [Wooton Common] : Printed and published by the engraver, Wootton Common, Isle of Wight, and sold by the principal local booksellers, 
- Physical Description:
- 54 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., map ; 25 x 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 B73 1839+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title page engraved by Alfred Brannon.
Date of publication from Abbey.
"General list of the country seats and villas in the Isle of Wight, with the names of the proprietors or present occupiers."--P. .
"The above thirty views (price 20s) comprises those subjects which are almost universally visited, or very conspicuously seen from the public high-way, or from off the water; but there is another edition, price 30s, which contains sixteen additional plates of the principal seats and most picturesque villas in the island. By this arrangement a choice is left to purchasers as to expence: some caring only for the open Scenery of the country, while other again particularly desire the seats ... either edition is complete in itself : the difference being only the omission of views not so well known to the public ..."--List of the plates, p. .
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 350
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in quarter red road and purple embossed cloth, with title in gilt on roan cover label: Views in the Isle of Wight.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England.Country houses -- England -- Isle of Wight.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1839.Isle of Wight (England) -- Description and travel.Isle of Wight (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscape -- England -- Isle of Wight.
- List of the plates: The artist's Cottage
- Carisbrooke Castle
- Carisbrooke Village
- High-street of Newport
- River Medina, near Newport
- Wooton Bridge and Fernhill
- West Cowes, view of, eastward of the castle
- West Cowes. westward of the castle
- Bembridge, and entrance to Brading Haven
- Shanklin Chine, as seen from the water
- The head of Shanklin Chine
- View from Shanklin Down
- East End (commencement of Undercliff)
- East Dene, Bonchurch
- St. Lawrence Church
- View near orchard, Undercliff
- The Sandrock Hotel, Niton
- The Undercliff, near Niton
- Sandrock Spring, as seen from the water
- Blackgang Chine & wreck of the "Clarendon"
- Freshwater Bay, and Cliffs in perspective
- Interior of Freshwater Cavern
- Scratchell's Bay, from within the arch
- Alum Bay and Freshwater light-house
- The Needle Rocks
- Freshwater Cliffs, near Wedge Rock
- The River Yar.