Brannon, George, Vectis scenery , 1834
- Vectis scenery : being a series of original and select views, exhibiting the picturesque beauties, and places of particular interest in the Isle of Wight / drawn from nature and engraved by George Brannon, many years a local resident ; to which are prefixed a complete topographical description and the general tours of the island, embracing every information in the least degree useful to strangers.
- [Wootton Common] : Printed and published by the engraver, Wootton Common, Isle of Wight, and sold by the principal local booksellers, 1834.
- Physical Description:
- 54 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., map ; 25 x 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 B73 1834+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Printed by G. Brannon, Wootton, Isle of Wight."--P. 54.
"The Vectis Scenery was formerly published in two edition: one, consisting of the most popular open views throughout the Island, and the other embracing all the principal Gentlemen's Seats .... it was generally found that neither of these gave complete satisfaction ... The present edition will be found to comprise almost every celebrated scene in the Isle of Wight, whether an open view or a Gentleman's Seat of Villa ..."--List of the plates, p. .
"General list of the country seats and villas in the Isle of Wight, with the names of the proprietors or present occupiers."--P. .
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half-roand and marbled boards, with title label printed in gilt. Publisher's advertisements,  p., tipped in at front, along with a newspaper clipping about the estate auction of the late Miss C. Hodgson of Ambleside (16 February 1939).
- Contents of plates: Carisbrooke Castle -- High-street of Newport -- Wooton Bridge and Fernhill -- West Cowes, genl. view eastward of the castle -- Ditto, westward of the castle -- Norris Castle, and W. Cowes in perspective -- East Cowes Castle, seat of J. Nash, esq. -- Ryde, and Pier -- Ditto, eastward of the Pier -- St. Clare, seat of the Rt. Hon. Lord Vernon -- Binstead Parsonage -- Nunwell, seat of Sir Wm. Oglander, bart. -- Bembridge, & entrance to Brading Haven -- Shanklin Chine, as seen from the water -- Head of Shanklin Chine -- Sketch near the Hotel, Shanklin -- Vernon Cottage, Shanklin -- East End, (Commencement of Undercliff) -- Bonchurch, (the road through) -- St. Boniface Cottage, Undercliff -- Castle Hambro', Steephill -- St. Lawrence Church -- Puckaster Cottage, villa of J. Vine, esq. -- Sandrock Hotel, Niton -- Undercliff, near Niton -- Sandrock Spring, as seen from the water -- Blackgang Chine, from the water -- Northcote, seat of Mrs. Bennett -- Rocks in Freshwater Bay -- Freshwater Cavern -- Sratchell's Bay, from within the Arch -- Alum Bay and Freshwater Light-house -- Needle Rocks -- Freshwater Cliff, near Wedge-Rock -- Swainston, seat of Sir Rd. Simeon -- Appuldurcombe, seat of Lord Yarborough.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England.Country houses -- England -- Isle of Wight.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1834.Isle of Wight (England) -- Description and travel.Isle of Wight (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscape -- England -- Isle of Wight.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.