Groups of flowers : drawn and accurately coloured after nature : with full directions for the young artist, designed as a companion to the treatise on flower painting / by George Brookshaw, Esq. ; author of the Pomona Britannica, Treatise on flower painting, &c.
- Second edition.
- London : Published by Thomas. McLean, printed by Turner and Hadley, Minerva Press, Queen's buildings, Cheltenham, 1819.
- Physical Description:
- 20 p.,  leaves of plates. : ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7680 .B76 1819+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7680 .B76 1819+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With two copies of each plate, one colored and one uncolored.
Each pair of plates accompanied by descriptive letterpress with directions for coloring.
The final plate is signed: Painted from nature by G. Brookshaw, published by John Lepard.
Bridson, G. Plant, animal & anatomical illustration, C474
Publisher's advertisement on p. .
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 97
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in blind- and gilt-tooled dark blue morocco; gilt edges. Has bound with it: Groups of fruit / George Bradshaw. Second edition. London : T. McLean, 1819; and, Six birds accurately drawn from nature / George Bradshaw. London : T. McLean, 1819.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in red boards with publisher's printed title label on front cover. Illegible inscription on title page. Cased with: Groups of fruit / George Bradshaw. Second edition. London : T. McLean, 1819; and, Six birds accurately drawn from nature / George Bradshaw. Second edition. London : T. McLean, 1819.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical illustration -- 19th century -- Great Britain.Decoration and ornament -- Plant forms -- Great Britain.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Flowers in art.Lepard, John -- Publisher.McLean, Thomas -- Publisher.Turner and Hadley -- Printer.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Drawing books.
Stipple engravings -- 1819.
Stipple engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.