Letters written in a Mahratta camp during the year 1809 : descriptive of the character, domestic habits, and religious ceremonies, of the Mahrattas : with ten coloured engravings, from drawings by a native artist / by Thomas Duer Broughton, Esq., late Commander of the resident's escort at the Court of Scindia.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Printed for John Murray, 50, Albemarle-Street, 1813.
- Physical Description:
- , 358,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS432.M2 B76 1813+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS432.M2 B76 1813+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- This is the first of two issues of this book published in 1813. The other issue is a variant with title: The costume, character, manners, domestic habits, and religious ceremonies of the Mahrattas, lacks final leaf of "Directions to the binder" regarding location of plates and title page is a cancel. Cf. BLC.
Printed by T. Davison, Lombard-street, Whitefriars, London.
Illustrations by Thomas Baxter, John Augustus Atkinson, and Henry Moses; after Deen Alee.
Frontispiece included in pagination.
With a preliminary half t.p. leaf. Half-title reads: Letters written in a Mahratta camp during the year 1809.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 114
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 4, 779
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 433
British Library general catalogue of printed books to 1975 , 983
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in calf. Spine title: Broughton travels. Plates bound as specified in "Directions to the Binder".
BAC: Copy 2 bound in red boards. Large paper copy. Inscribed in ms. on front fly-leaf: F. F. North, 1820. Plate bound in before t.p. and contents. Rest of plates bound in before text. Includes two sets of t.p. and preliminaries.
- Subject Terms:
- British -- India.Davison, T. -- PrinterIndia -- History -- British occupation, 1765-1947.India -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Maratha (Indic people).Murray, J. -- PublisherNorth, F. F. -- Autograph, 1820.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1813
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Broughton, Thomas Duer, 1778-1835, Letters written in a Mahratta camp during the year 1809 , 1813