IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Revesi Bruti, Ottavio, A new and accurate method of delineating all the parts of the different orders in architecture , MDCCXXXVII 
A new and accurate method of delineating all the parts of the different orders in architecture : by means of a well contriv'd, and most easily manag'd instrument; whereon the just proportions of the principal members, and of their several parts, are so disposed, as wholly to avoid the difficulty of the fractional parts that usually attend these operations / English'd from the original Italian of Ottavio Revesi Bruti, by Thomas Malie, Gent.
- Additional Title(s):
Archisesto per formar con facilita li cinqve ordini d'architettura. English
- London : Printed for Fletcher Gyles over against Gray's-Inn Holbourn, and Thomas Heath, Mathematical Instrument Maker, next the Fountain Tavern in the Strand, MDCCXXXVII 
- Physical Description:
- 52 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2812 .R4813 1737+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Running title: Instrumental architecture.
Translation of: Archisesto per formar con facilita li cinque ordini d'architettura. Originally published in Vincenza, 1627.
Illustrations traced and etched by Thomas Malie. Cf. Harris.
"The form of Revesi Bruti's architectonic sector was the avowed source of the instrument published by Joshua Kirby in 1761."--Cf. Harris.
Selected exhibitions: "Compass and rule : architecture as mathematical practice in early modern England, 1550-1750" (Yale Center for British Art, February 18, 2010-May 30, 2010).
English short title catalogue, T102954
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 734
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 2740
Gerbino, A. Compass and rule, p. 123-124
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in calf, rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Architectural drawing -- Technique -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Orders -- Early works to 1800.Compasses (Mathematical instruments) -- Early works to 1800.Drawing instruments -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1737.Gyles, Fletcher -- Publisher.Heath, Thomas -- Publisher.Mechanical drawing -- Technique -- Early works to 1800.Scientific apparatus and instruments -- Early works to 1800.Sectors.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.