Browne, Christopher, active 1684-1712, A new map of Virginia, Maryland, and the improved parts of Pennsylvania & New Jersey, [1685?]
A new map of Virginia, Maryland, and the improved parts of Pennsylvania & New Jersey [cartographic material].
- London : Sold by Christopher Browne at the Globe near west end of St. Pauls Church, [1685?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : engraving, hand-colored ; 48 x 55 cm, on sheet 53 x 65 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 3eYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:815,000]. 70 miles in a degree.
- Relief shown pictorially. Depths shown by soundings.
Date and attribution from On the Map, 1983 (Figure 24).
First state of map published originally in 1685 by Christopher Browne with the imprint in the cartouche under the title. No longitude lines are given.
Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored.
- Subject Terms:
- Maryland -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Middle Atlantic States -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.New Jersey -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Pennsylvania -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Virginia -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Early works.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1685.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.