Buckler, John Chessell, 1793-1894, Views of the cathedral churches of England and Wales , 1822
Views of the cathedral churches of England and Wales : with descriptions / by John Chessell Buckler.
- London : John Nichols and Son, Printers to The Society of Antiquaries, 25, Parliament-Street, 1822.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA5461 .B83 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by and after John Chessell Buckler.
A descriptive and historical text of from 2 to 20 pages accompanies each group of plates.
"The publication of the English Cathedrals was begun by my father, Mr. John Buckler, F.S.A. in the year 1799, and completed in 1814. The present volume contains views of the same edifices, principally copied from that work; several, however, have been altered, and some additional views, together with those of the cathedrals in Wales, in annexed."--Preface.
"Judging from the publication dates of the plates the work appears to have been originally issued in 8 parts between 1816 and 1822."--British Architectural Library.
A descriptive and historical text of from 2 p. to 20 p. accompanies each group of plates.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 478
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary boards; rebacked in half calf. Unidentified armorial bookplate with motto: "Fidelis ad mortem."
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Great Britain.Cathedrals -- Great Britain.Church architecture -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Church buildings -- Great Britain.John Nichols and Son -- Printer.
- Engravings -- 1822.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
- St. Asaph
- St David's
- Ely (2 plates)
- Lichfield (2 plates)
- St Paul's
- Norwich --Oxford
- Peterborough (2 plates)
- Salisbury (2 plates)-- Wells
- Winchester (2 plates)
- York (2 plates)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.