The builder's dictionary, or, Gentleman and architect's companion , 1734
- The builder's dictionary, or, Gentleman and architect's companion : explaining not only the terms of art in all the several parts of architecture, but also containing the theory and practice of the various branches thereof ... : also necessary problems in arithmetic, geometry, mechanics, perspective, hydraulics, and other mathematical sciences : together with the quantities proportions, and prices of all kinds of materials used in building ... / fully digested by the most approved writers on the subjects.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Builder's dictionary.
Gentleman and architect's companion.
- London : Printed for A. Bettesworth and C. Hitch ..., 1734.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA31 B82 1734Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Vol. 2 has title: Builder's dictionary: or, Architect's companion ... containing the theory and practive of the various branches of that useful and noble art requisite to be known by masons ... Being a work of great use, not only to artificers, but likewise to gentlemen, and other, concerned in building, &c. Vol. II.
BAC: Booksellers' advertisements: v. 1, p. [493-494], and v. 2, p. .
Illustration by William Henry Toms; after John Devoto.
'January 11, 1733/4. We have perused these two volumes of the Builder's dictionary, and do think they contain a great deal of useful knowledge in the building business. Nicholas Hawksmoor, John James, James Gibbs."--t.p. verso.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.Bettesworth, A. -- Publisher.Building -- Dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.Hitch, C. -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1734.
Engravings -- 1734.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.