IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Burchell, William J. (William John), 1781-1863, Travels in the interior of southern Africa , 1822-1824
Travels in the interior of southern Africa / by William J. Burchell ; with an entirely new map, and numerous engravings.
- Additional Title(s):
Burchell's travels in the southern and interior parts of Africa
Travels in the southern and interior parts of Africa
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-row, 1822-1824.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., map ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT756 .B87 1822+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT756 .B87 1822+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Spine title: Burchell's travels in the southern and interior parts of AFrica.
Aquatints after William John Burchell.
Printed by A. & R. Spottiswoode, New Street-Square.
With wood-engraved vignettes.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 116
"Hints on emigration to the Cape of Good Hope, by the same author", v. 1., p. -4.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 327
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in original boards, with printed spine labels. Lacks half-title. Copy 2 is bound in original boards, with printed spine labels. Contains half t.p. in both volumes. Errata slip inserted. Bookplate of Richard Watson.
- Subject Terms:
- A. & R. Spottiswoode -- PrinterAbbey, J. R. (John Roland), 1896-1969 -- BindingAfrica, Southern -- Description and travel.Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Ethnology -- South Africa.Khoisan (African people)Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- PublisherNatural history -- South Africa.Watson, Richard -- Bookplate
- Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1822-1824
Wood engravings -- 1822-1824
- Plates: Caravan of Waggons assembled at Zak River
- A view of Cape Town, Table Bay & Tygerberg
- Portrait of Speelman, a Hottentot
- Crossing the Berg River
- The Rock Fountain in the country of the Bushmen
- Scene on the River Gariép
- A Hottentot Kraal on the banks of the Gariép
- A view of Klaarwater
- Portrait of a Bushman
- Portrait of a Kora
- View of a Bushman Kraal
- A natural Obelisk in the country of the Bushmen
- Descending from the Snow Mountains
- Portrait of Juli, a faithful Hottentot
- View on entering the Town of Litakun
- A view in the town of Litakun
- Portrait of Massisan
- Portrait of Mahutu
- Section and plan of a Bachapin House
- Portrait of Chaasi, a Bachapin.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.