Burchell, William J. (William John), 1781-1863, Travels in the interior of southern Africa , 1822-1824
- Travels in the interior of southern Africa / by William J. Burchell ; with an entirely new map, and numerous engravings.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Burchell's travels in the southern and interior parts of Africa
Travels in the southern and interior parts of Africa
- London : Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-row, 1822-1824.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., map ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT756 .B87 1822+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT756 .B87 1822+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title: Burchell's travels in the southern and interior parts of AFrica.
Aquatints after William John Burchell.
Printed by A. & R. Spottiswoode, New Street-Square.
With wood-engraved vignettes.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 327
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 116
"Hints on emigration to the Cape of Good Hope, by the same author", v. 1., p. -4.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in original boards, with printed spine labels. Lacks half-title. Copy 2 is bound in original boards, with printed spine labels. Contains half t.p. in both volumes. Errata slip inserted. Bookplate of Richard Watson.
- Plates: Caravan of Waggons assembled at Zak River -- A view of Cape Town, Table Bay & Tygerberg -- Portrait of Speelman, a Hottentot -- Crossing the Berg River -- The Rock Fountain in the country of the Bushmen -- Scene on the River Gariép -- A Hottentot Kraal on the banks of the Gariép -- A view of Klaarwater -- Portrait of a Bushman -- Portrait of a Kora -- View of a Bushman Kraal -- A natural Obelisk in the country of the Bushmen -- Descending from the Snow Mountains -- Portrait of Juli, a faithful Hottentot -- View on entering the Town of Litakun -- A view in the town of Litakun -- Portrait of Massisan -- Portrait of Mahutu -- Section and plan of a Bachapin House -- Portrait of Chaasi, a Bachapin.
- Subject Terms:
- A. & R. Spottiswoode -- PrinterAbbey, J. R. (John Roland), 1896-1969 -- BindingAfrica, Southern -- Description and travel.Cape of Good Hope (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Ethnology -- South Africa.Khoisan (African people)Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- PublisherNatural history -- South Africa.Watson, Richard -- Bookplate
- Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1822-1824
Wood engravings -- 1822-1824
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.