The Vauxhall papers , 1841
- The Vauxhall papers / edited by Alfred Bunn ; illustrated by Alfred Crowquill.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Vauxhall at its birth and death
- [London] : Published by John Andrews, New Bond Street; and John Mitchell, Old Bond Street, 1841.
- Physical Description:
- , 130 p. : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA689.G3 V3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Special title page, for No. 1. Monday, July 19. Price 6d. Title reads: The Vauxhall papers : edited by Alfred Bunn : illustrated by Alfred Crowquill. A daily journal : to be published nightly, every other Evening, Three times a-week! At the Royal Gardens, Vauxhall; and by John Mitchell, Old Bond Street; and John Andrews, New Bond Street.
Printed by Vizetelly and Co., Printers and Engravers, Fleet Street, London.
Contains numerous wood-engravings throughout text. Engraved vignettes on t.p. and special t.p.
llustrated initial letters at what appear to be chapter openings.
"Programme of the entertainments for Monday, July 19, 1841"--Verso of special t.p.
Frontispiece ("Vauxhall at its birth & death") and title within ornamental borders.
No more published--Cf. p. 129-130.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's illustrated boards. Extra-illustrated. Contains two original water colors of the Vauxhall Gardens, dated 1751 in ms annotation on verso of both. Water colors signed: S.F. Also extra-illustrated with three etchings of Vauxhall Gardens, one with music. Pasted to verso of upper board is the t.p. of The Portfolio. No. 13. August 19, 1826. Presentation copy to W.H. Ainsworth from Alfred Bunn.
- Subject Terms:
- Ainsworth, W.H. -- Pres. insc. from Alfred Bunn.Andrews, John -- Publisher.Bunn, Alfred -- Pres. insc. to W.H. Ainsworth.Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.English wit and humor.Mitchell, John -- Publisher.Satire, English.Vauxhall Gardens (London, England)
- Etchings -- 1841.
Wood engravings -- 1841.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.