Southesk, James Carnegie, Earl of, 1827-1905, Britain's art paradise, or, Notes on some pictures in the Royal Academy: MDCCCLXXI /cby the Earl of Southesk, 1871
- Britain's art paradise, or, Notes on some pictures in the Royal Academy: MDCCCLXXI /cby the Earl of Southesk.
- Edinburgh : Edmonston and Douglas, 1871.
- Physical Description:
- 46 p. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN1100 S78 1871Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by R. Clark, Edinburgh.
A strenous criticism of English artists and a warning they must raise their standards in order to avert the 'swift-coming ruin' of the National School of Painting. Artists and their works singled out for individual criticism include Millais' "Picture of Moses supported by Aaron and Hur" and Leighton's "Hercules wrestling with Death for the Body of Alcestis."
- Subject Terms:
- Clark, R. -- Printer.Edinburgh (Scotland) -- Imprints -- 1871.Edmonston and Douglas -- Publisher.Leighton of Stretton, Frederic Leighton, Baron, 1830-1896. Hercules wrestling with Death for the body of Alcestis.Millais, John Everett, 1829-1896. Picture of Moses supported by Aaron and Hur.Painting -- Great Britain.Royal Academy of Arts (Great Britain) -- History.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.