Burnet, John, 1784-1868, A practical treatise on painting , 1830
- A practical treatise on painting : in three parts : consisting of hints on composition, chiaroscuro, and colouring : the whole illustrated by examples from the Italian, Venetian, Flemish, and Dutch schools / by John Burnet.
- New edition.
- London : Printed for the proprietor, and sold by James Carpenter and Sons, 1830.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1488 B88 1830+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: Publisher's advertisements:  p. at end.
The three parts were originally published separately in 1820, 1829, and 1830. This complete edition is made up from the sheets of the fourth edition of part 1, and the third editions of parts 2 and 3, the whole connected with a general title.
Illustrations by John Burnet; after Cuyp, Potter, Ostader, Claude, Rubens, P. De Laer, Terburg, Metzu, Rembrandt, Correggio, Raphael, Guido, B. West, Rembrandt, Domenichino, D. Wilkie, Van Dyke, Titian, P. Nolpe, G. Dow, Vandivelde, Hondekooter, Wouvermans, Teniers, Frank Hals, Veronese, De Hooge.
Printed by C. Whittingham, Chiswick.
- Subject Terms:
- Composition (Art)Etching -- Specimens -- 1830.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1830.Painting -- Study and teaching.Perspective.Whittingham, C. -- Printer.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.