Busby, Thomas Lord, Costume of the lower orders of London , 
Costume of the lower orders of London : painted and engraved from nature / by T.L. Busby.
- London : Published for T.L. Busby by Messrs. Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, Paternoster-Row; at the Artist's Depository, 21, Charlotte-Street, Firtzroy-Square, (one door above Goodge-Street,) ... 
- Physical Description:
- iv,  p.,  leaves : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA688 .B85 1820+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA688 .B85 1820+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Engravings by and after Thomas Lord Busby.
Printed by W. Clowes, Northumberland-court, Strand.
Plates dated from 1 Nov. 1819 to 15 Aug. 1820.
Added engraved title page in French and English.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 423
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. First issue: spelling of Mattman on plate 7 is not corrected. Signature not added to plate 8 "The fortune teller". Has bound with it:: Busby, T. L. Fishing costume and local scenery of Hartlepool in the county of Durham. London, 1819. Copy 2 is in the original 6 parts, in publisher's printed wrappers. Later issue: spelling of Mattman on plate 7 is corrected to Mat Man and signature added to plate 8.
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), 1025
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 123
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 491
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 139, 158
Selected exhibitions: “Pleasures and Pastimes" (Yale Center for British Art, February 21 - April 29, 1990).
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy -- Publisher.Clothing and dress -- England -- London -- 19th century.Clowes, W. -- Printer.Cries -- England -- London.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1820.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
- Cries -- England -- London -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.