Busby, Thomas Lord, Costume of the lower orders of London , 
- Costume of the lower orders of London : painted and engraved from nature / by T.L. Busby.
- London : Published for T.L. Busby by Messrs. Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, Paternoster-Row; at the Artist's Depository, 21, Charlotte-Street, Firtzroy-Square, (one door above Goodge-Street,) ... 
- Physical Description:
- iv,  p.,  leaves : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA688 .B85 1820+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA688 .B85 1820+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by and after Thomas Lord Busby.
Printed by W. Clowes, Northumberland-court, Strand.
Plates dated from 1 Nov. 1819 to 15 Aug. 1820.
Added engraved title page in French and English.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. First issue: spelling of Mattman on plate 7 is not corrected. Signature not added to plate 8 "The fortune teller". Has bound with it:: Busby, T. L. Fishing costume and local scenery of Hartlepool in the county of Durham. London, 1819. Copy 2 is in the original 6 parts, in publisher's printed wrappers. Later issue: spelling of Mattman on plate 7 is corrected to Mat Man and signature added to plate 8.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 423
Lipperheidesche Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), 1025
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 123
Colas, R. Costume, 491
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 139, 158
Selected exhibitions: “Pleasures and Pastimes" (Yale Center for British Art, February 21 - April 29, 1990).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy -- Publisher.Clothing and dress -- England -- London -- 19th century.Clowes, W. -- Printer.Cries -- England -- London.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1820.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
- Cries -- England -- London -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.