The Isle of Wight illustrated : in a series of coloured views / engraved in aqua-tint by P. Roberts, from original drawings of the late F. Calvert, accompanied by a succinct, historical, geographical and topographical description of the Island.
- London : G.H. Davidson, 1846.
- Physical Description:
- , 63,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. map ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 C35 1846+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 C35 1846+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Half t.p.
Aquatints by Percy Roberts; after Frederick Calvert.
Map lithographed by Edmund Walker. Printed by Day & Haghe.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 351
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 352
BAC: British Art Center has two copies both of which are Abbey copies. Copy 1 is bound in original blue cloth binding. Front cover with double rule border enclosing a fancy floral oval pattern with title lettered in center of oval. Autograph: Sophia Welsh, 1847. Bookseller ticket: G.L. Marshall of Southampton. Plate 4 reads 'Ryde' whereas plate 4 in copy 2 reads 'Ryde. Plate 1". Copy 2 is a different issue. Cf. Abbey. Bound in original red cloth binding. Front cover with double lined frame in blind enclosing an inner frame in gilt with gilt corner ornaments, enclosing a small gilt wreath with title.
- Subject Terms:
- Davidson, G.H. -- Publisher.Day & Haghe -- Printer.Isle of Wight (England) -- Description and travel.Isle of Wight (England) -- History.Lithograph, Colored -- Specimens -- 1846.Marshall, G.L. -- Bookseller.Welsh, Sophia -- Autograph, 1847.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1846.
- History of the Isle of Wight
- Carisbrook Castle, with an engraving
- Carisbrook Village, with an engraving
- Godshill, or Gad's Hill
- Saint Catherine's Hill
- The Alexandrian Pillar
- Ryde, with two engravings
- St. John's
- Quarr Abbey, with an engraving
- Brading, with an engraving
- Shanklin Chine, with two engravings
- Shanklin or Sandown Bay, with an engraving
- St. Catherine's
- Luccombe Chine
- Bonchurch, with an engraving
- Boniface Cottage
- Blackgang Chine, with an engraving.