IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Caus, Isaac de, 1590-1648, A new and rare inventions of water-works ... , 1704
A new and rare inventions of water-works ... : as also, a description of Capt. Savory's engine for raising of vast quantities of water by fire.
- Additional Title(s):
Theory of the conduct of water.
Nouvelle invention de lever l'eau. English
- London : Printed for J. Moxon ..., 1704.
- Physical Description:
- 47,  p.,  leaves of plates (fold.) : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTJ144 C37 N613 1704Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Running title: Theory of the conduct of water.
Description of an engine to used to raise water.
Translation of : Nouvelle invention de lever l'eau. The text and plates of which were based on Salomon de Caus' Les raisons des forces movvantes auec diuerses machines. Francfort, 1615.
Originally translated in 1659 by John Leeke.
Includes descriptions and illustrations of various musical automata and of a hydraulic barrel-organ.
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v.5, 658
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers. Cambridge [England] : Cambridge University Press, 1994,c1990. p. 324
BAC: Catalogue of globes, celestial and terrestrial, spheres, maps, sea plats, mathematical instruments and books, made and sold by J. Moxon:  p. at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Fountains -- Early works to 1800.Hydraulic engineering -- Early works to 1800.Machine theory -- Early works to 1800.Moxon, J. -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1704.
Engravings -- 1704.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.