Travels in Greece, or, An account of a tour made at the expense of the Society of Dilettanti / by Richard Chandler, D.D. Fellow of Magdalen College, and of the Society of Antiquaries.
- Additional Title(s):
Travels in Greece
An account of a tour made at the expense of the Society of Dilettanti
- Oxford : Printed at the Clarendon Press. Sold by J. Dodsley, J. Robson, T. Cadell, P. Elmsly, and G. Robinson, London; and by D. Prince, Oxford, MDCCLXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- 4, xiv, , 304 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : maps ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT721 C43 1776+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Chandler's personal account of the first Ionian expedition of the Society of Dilettani which Chandler led between 1764 and 1766. A combined edition of Chandler's "Travels in Asia Minor" and "Travels in Greece" was published in London in 1817. Dublin piracies of both titles appeared in the same year. Cf. British Architectural Library.
Maps engraved by John Barber and Thomas Kitchin.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, p. 2547
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in smooth calf binding. Armorial bookplate: John Bacon Sawrey Morritt. Esq. Rokeby Park.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1776.Greece -- Description and travel.Morritt, John Bacon Sawrey -- Bookplate
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Chandler, Richard, 1738-1810, Travels in Greece, or, An account of a tour made at the expense of the Society of Dilettanti , MDCCLXXVI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.