Charnock, John, 1756-1807, Prospectus and specimen of an history of marine architecture , 1796
- Prospectus and specimen of an history of marine architecture : drawn from the best authorities, and chronologically deduced from the earliest period to the present time ; illustrated by upwards of one hundred plates : exhibiting at least a thousand figures : accurately engraved by the most eminent artists : in three volumes Royal Quarto / by John Charnock, Esq.
- London : Printed for R. Faulder, Bond-Street, 1796.
- Physical Description:
- , 20, 2 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsVM15 .C43 1796+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With engraving by Charles Tompkins; after John Charnock and J. Scott.
The work announced here would be published as: Marine architecture / John Charnock. London : R. Faulder, 1800-1802 (Abbey, J.R. Life, 331).
Additional prospectus, 2 p. at end: Portraits of eminent naval officers, faithfully engraved from original pictures; with sketches of their lives and characters, collected from the most authentic sources.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original gray paper wrappers, with publisher's printed cover label. Inscribed: Wm. Chamberlayne with [compliments?].
- Subject Terms:
- Chamberlayne, William -- Provenance.Great Britain -- History, Naval -- Early works to 1800.Naval architecture -- History -- Early works to 1800.Naval history -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Aquatints -- 1796.
Etchings -- 1796.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.