The history of the Charter-House , 1816
- The history of the Charter-House : dedicated by permission to the Rev. W. Fisher, D.D. Master of the Charter-House, and prependary of Norwich.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Charter house
- London : Printed for and published by R. Ackermann, 101, Strand. L. Harrison, Printer, 373, Strand, 1816.
- Physical Description:
- 32 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA687.C4 H57 1816+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA687.C4 H57 1816+ Copy 2 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title, on publisher's printed label: Charter house : illustrated by five coloured engravings.
Aquatints by William James Bennett, Joseph Constantine Stadler, J. Bluck, and Daniel Havell; after William Westall and Augustus Pugin.
Illustrations appear in 'History of the colleges of Winchester, Eton, and Westminster'. London : Printed and published by R. Ackermann, 1816. Cf. Adams.
Abbey, J. R. Scenery, 442
Adams, B. London illustrated 1604-1851, 116
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in 19th century marbled boards with red cloth spine. Only first plate in copy 1 is colored, remaining are in uncolored state. Lacks title page. Bookplate: Coningsby Disraeli. Copy 2 bound in half calf with original paper covered boards. Includes 3 columns of newspaper clippings, about the Charterhouse, pasted to the verso of the title page. Plates are hand-colored.
- Charter House, from the play ground -- Charter House from the Square -- Charter House school room -- Hall of Charter House -- Dr. Fisher's apartment. Charter House.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Almshouses -- Great Britain.Charterhouse (Smithfield, London, England : Building) -- History.Disraeli, Coningsby -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Harrison, L. -- Printer.Poor -- England -- London.Schools -- England -- London.
- Aquatints -- 1816.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1816.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.