Kennett, White, 1660-1728, Bibliothecae Americanae primordia , 1713 [i.e. 1714]
- Bibliothecae Americanae primordia : an attempt towards laying the foundation of an American library, in several books, papers, and writings, humbly given to the Society for Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts for the perpetual use and benefit of their members, their missionaries, friends, correspondents, and others concern'd in the good design of planting and promoting Christianity within Her Majesties colonies and plantations in the West-Indies / by a member of the said Society.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Attempt towards laying the foundation of an American library
- London : Printed for J. Churchill, at the Black Swan in Pater-Noster-Row, 1713 [i.e. 1714].
- Physical Description:
- , iii, , xvi, 3-132,125-275,  p. ; 22 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ1203 .K46 1714Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 111 So29 1713k: Signature 2K duplicated. Forms part of the Benjamin Franklin Collection.
The entries are arranged chronologically by date of publication; "extracts" from Purchas and Hakluyt are entered under date of voyage described.
The greater part of the library has been lost. "The remnant, now carefully guarded, consist of about 300 volumes, chiefly historical, theological, and polemical works." -- Classified digest of the records of the S. P. G. London, 1873. p. 816.
Dedication signed: White Kennett.
The preface signed: Robert Watts, and dated Nov. 1, 1714.
The earliest published bibliography devoted exclusively to Americana. Cf. Sowerby.
Only 250 copies printed.
"Advertisement," "Auctarium Bibliothecæ americanæ. An addition of some other books and papers humbly given to the Society ..." and "Index," by Robert Watts.
Signatures: pi1 *² a-d² [A]1 B-6M².
Paging irregular: no. 125-132 (sig. Ll-Mm) repeated. Index (pages not numbered) sig. Cccc-Mmmmmm in twos.
Sowerby, E.M. Cat. of the lib. of Thomas Jefferson, 472
Advertisement and Dedication are bound in either order. Cf. ESTC.
Text and register are continuous despite errors in pagination.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf. Armorial bookplate: Magens Dorrien Magens Esqr.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Bibliography.Magens, Magens Dorrien, former owner.Rare books -- England -- Bibliography -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (Great Britain) -- Library.
- Library catalogs.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.