Northcote, James, 1746-1831, One hundred fables, original and selected , 1828
- One hundred fables, original and selected / by James Northcote, R.A. &c. &c. ; embellished with two hundred and eighty engravings on wood.
- Alternate Title(s):
- 100 fables, original and selected
- London : Geo. Lawford, Saville Passage. Printed by J. Johnson, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- iii, , 272 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN982 .N67 1828Yale Center for British Art, Gift of William Reese CompanyAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- "The original invention and designs for the prints at the head of each fable are my own, yet they have been most excellently drawn on wood and prepared for the engravers by Mr. William Harvey ... the ornamental letter at the beginning of each fable and the vignette at the end are solely the invention of Mr. Harvey"--P. ii-iii.
Many wood engravings by John Jackson. Also by G.W. Bonner, Allen Robert Branston, Frederick W. Branston, D. Dodd, John Robert Dodd, Abraham John Mason, Thomas Mosses, Charlton Nesbit, Matthew Urlwin Sears, Samuel M. Slader, Orrin Smith, Eliza Thompson, Henry White, Thomas Williams, and John Wright.
Initials, head and tail pieces.
Title page printed in black and red.
Part of the fables are in verse.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's blue-green cloth. Autograph: Richd. Edwd. Thomson, 1875.  p. of publisher's advertisements at end not included in pagination.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Fables.Lawford, George -- Publisher.Thomson, Richd. Edwd. -- Autograph, 1875.
- Wood engravings -- 1828.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.