Uncle Tom's cabin / by Harriet Beecher Stowe ; with 27 illustrations on wood by George Cruikshank, esq.
- London : John Cassell, 1852.
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, 391,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., port. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPS2954 .U5 1852Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Cruikshank's designs engraved on wood by Dalziel, W.T. Green, Mason Jackson, William Measom, Thomas Williams, and G.W. Willis.
"Notice of Mrs. Stowe and her family" (p. [xv]-xxii) largely based upon an article from Fraser's magazine, 1852, v. 46, p. 518-525 ("Some account of Mrs. Beecher Stowe and her family, by an Alabama ma")
Originally issued in 13 parts in paper wrappers.
With a wood-engraved frontispiece portrait of the author.
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 777
Publisher's advertisement:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later boards.
- Subject Terms:
- African Americans -- Fiction.Cassell, John -- Publisher.Plantation life -- Fiction.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.Slavery -- Fiction.Southern States -- Fiction.Uncle Tom (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
- Didactic fiction.
Wood engravings -- 1852.
- Preface to the American edition
- List of the illustrations
- Mrs. Stowe and her family
- Opinions of the press
- Uncle Tom's cabin.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.