A practical illustration of Gilpin's day : representing the various effects on landscape scenery from morning till night, in thirty designs from nature / by the late Rev. Wm. Gilpin ... ; with instructions in, and explanation of, the improved method of colouring, and painting in water colours by John Heaviside Clark.
- London : Published for the proprietors, by Priestley and Weale, No. 5, High Street, Bloomsbury, 1824.
- Physical Description:
- , vi,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2240 .G55 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Originally published by Edward Orme in 1811. The 1824 edition is a reissue of the plates with a new title page, published for 'the proprietors'. Cf. Bicknell.
Each plate accompanied by a letterpress page of instructions.
Printed by J. Hayes, Dartmouth Street, Westminster.
Bicknell, P. Gilpin to Ruskin, 9
Hardie, M. English coloured books, p. 119
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 146
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 110
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary marbled boards; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing books -- Specimens.Hayes, J. -- Printer.Landscape painting -- Technique.Landscape painting, English -- 19th century.Priestley and Weale -- Publisher.Watercolor painting -- 19th century.Watercolor painting -- Study and teaching.Watercolor painting, English.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1824.
Drawing books -- England -- London -- 1824.
YCBA Collections Search
Gilpin, William, 1724-1804, A practical illustration of Gilpin's day , 1824
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.