A descriptive catalogue of Coade's artificial stone manufactory at King's Arms Stairs, Narrow-wall Lambeth : opposite White-Hall Stairs. With prices affixed. Consisting of, I. Statues. II. Busts. III. Vases. VI. [i.e. IV] Pedestals. V. Capitals. VI. Frizes. VII. Fascias. VIII. Pannel and tablets. IX. Medallions. X. Pateras for elevations from 30 to 40 feet. XI. Ditto from 20 to 30 feet. XII. Pateras for elevations from 10 to 20 feet. XIII. Ditto of 10 feet and under. XIV. Coats of Arm. XV. Imposts. XVI. Key-stones. XVII. Architraves. XVIII. Rustics. XIX. Pinnacles. XX. Balusters. XXI. Balls and feet. XXII. Chimney tops. XXIII. Piers. XXIV. Consoles. XXV. Sepulchral ornaments. XXVI. Chimney-pieces. XXVII. Pieces of furniture and various ornaments. XXVIII. Ornaments to fix on stone or wood. XXIX. Wood chimney-pieces with stone ornaments. With an appendix.
- London : Printed: to be had at the Manufactory, and of J. Strahan, Bookseller, no. 67, Strand, MDCCLXXIV 
- Physical Description:
- ,10, 15-31,  p. ; 22 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTH1451 .C63 1784+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Many of the designs here listed are illustrated in: Coade's Lithodipyra, or, Artificial Stone Manufactory [London, 1779?] (ESTC T33523, Harris 136). The designs are probably the work of Eleanor Coade and John Bacon. Cf. Kelly, Mrs. Coade's stone.
"Price one shilling."--Foot of title page.
English short title catalogue, T31712
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 137
Kelly, A. Mrs. Coade's stone, p. 41-46
BAC: British Art Center copy disbound and mounted (on stubs) to accommodate oblong format. Has corrections and additions in pen and brown ink. Has bound with it: Coade's Lithodipyra, or, Artificial Stone Manufactory [London, 1784?] (ESTC T33523, Harris 136). Most of the images in Coade's Lithodipyra are keyed with numbers, in ms., corresponding to entries in the Descriptive catalogue. BAC copy also has laid in an engraving, dated 1802, of the Coade and Seeley factory entrance.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Georgian -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Bacon, John, 1740-1799.Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory -- Catalogs.Coade, Eleanor, 1733-1821.Decoration and ornament -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Decoration and ornament -- Georgian style -- Early works to 1800.Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1784.Stone, Artificial -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Strahan, J. -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory, A descriptive catalogue of Coade's artificial stone manufactory at King's Arms Stairs, Narrow-wall Lambeth , MDCCLXXIV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.