Combe, William, 1742-1823, The second tour of Doctor Syntax, in search of consolation , 1820
The second tour of Doctor Syntax, in search of consolation : a poem : volume second.
- [London] : Published by R. Ackermann, at the Repository of Arts, 101, Strand, London, and to be had of all the booksellers in the United Kingdom, 1820.
- Physical Description:
- 8 pts. (277,  p.,  leaves of plates) : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3359.C5 S43 1820 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3359.C5 S43 1820 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Issued in 8 monthly parts: Jan.-Aug. 1820, each part in printed buff paper wrappers. Title page issued with part VIII.
Cover title: Second tour of Doctor Syntax, in search of the picturesque, a poem, in eight monthly numbers : price 2s. 6d. each. Forming a second volume when complete. Written by the same author, with designs by the same artist, Thomas Rowlandson, Esq. with the same arrangement of them both as produced the original work with that title, of which eight unexampled editions, have been so eagerly demanded by the public, and which have given rise to so many shameless deceptions, spurious imitations, and gross impositions. Published by R. Ackermann, No. 101, Strand, London, publisher of the original Tour of Doctor Syntax in search of the picturesque. And may be had of all the booksellers in the United Kingdon, 1820.
Printed by J. Diggens, St. Ann's Lane, London.
Paged continuously. Each part contains 3 plates bound in before text. Part 8 includes directions to the binder for placing the plates.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 428
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 266
BAC: British Art Center has copy 1 is the Abbey copy, in 8 parts. Original printed buff paper wrappers, as issued. Publisher's advertisements on verso of front wrapper and on recto and verso of rear wrapper of all 8 pt's. Pt. 4 has  p. of publisher's advertisements tipped in at end. Pt. 8 has  p. of publisher's advertisments bound in at end. Ms inscription on front wrapper of No. 5: Wm. Clancy. Ms inscription on front wrapper of No. 6: Mrs. Scarlett.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is also in 8 parts with original printed buff paper wrappers. Publisher's advertisements on recto of front wrapper of pt. 1 & 2 differ from the other 6 pt's which are identical to the publisher's advertisements of copy 1. Ms inscription on front wrapper of pt.'s 2 & 3: W. Ward.  p. of publisher's advertisements bound in at end pt. 4.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Clancy, Wm. -- Autograph. (copy 1)Diggens, J. -- Printer.Scarlett, Mrs. -- Autograph. (copy 1)Ward, W. -- Autograph. (copy 2)
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.