IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Cooke, George, 1781-1834, Views in London and its vicinity , -1834
Views in London and its vicinity / complete in forth-eight plates, engraved on copper by George Cooke ; from drawing by Calcott, R.A., Stanfield, A.R.A., Prout, Roberts, Stark, Harding, Cotman, Havell, &c. &c. ; after original sketches made on the spot by Edward W. Cooke.
- Additional Title(s):
London and its vicinity : to the extent of about twenty miles
- London : Longman and Co. : -1834.
Barnes, Surrey : Mrs. G. Cooke, -1834.
- Physical Description:
- 12 pt. (48 prints, , 7 p.) : ill. : 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .C66 1826+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Comprises 48 full-page engravings with guard sheets, accompanied by letterpress "Descriptions of the plates" (8 p.). Thirteen views credited to E.W. Cooke in the descriptions. For discussion, cf. Mundy, John. Edward William Cooke. 1996, p. 39-40.
Engravings by George Cooke; after Augustus Wall Callcott, Edward William Cooke, Clarkson Stanfield, Samuel Prout, J.D. Harding, William Havell, William Harvey, John Sell Cotman, James Stark, and David Roberts.
Cover title: London and its vicinity : to the extent of about twenty miles.
Imperial Octavo. Price five shillings--At head of cover.
Many of the plates bear imprint: Printed by S.H. Hawkins 53 Warren St.
Adams, B. London illustrated, 149
Ray, G.N. Illustrator and the book in England from 1790 to 1914, 26
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in the original light brown or light green paper wrappers. Part nos. supplied in ms. Title page, 'Address" and describive letterpress in pt. 12. Publisher's advertisement on p.  of covers of pts. 8-10 and on p. - of pt. 11. Notices to subscribers inserted in pts. 1, 3, 6, and 7. Imprint on covers of parts varies; pts. 1-7, 10-11: London : Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green : J. and A. Arch ; Hackney : G. Cooke; pts. 9-10 gives James Carpenter and Son as a London publisher. Pt. 11 gives place of publication for Cooke as Barnes Terrace, Surrey. Thos. B. Cooke added as a publisher on pt. 12.
- Subject Terms:
- Bridges -- England -- London -- Pictorial works.Church architecture -- England -- London.Church architecture -- England -- London.Cooke, Elizabeth Harriet, 1785-1882, publisher.Cooke, Thos. B., publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1826-1834.Hawkins, S. H., printer.Hodgson, Boys and Graves, publisher.John and Arthur Arch, publisher.Landscape -- England -- London.London (England) -- In art.London (England) -- Pictorial works.Thames River (England) -- Pictorial works.Tower of London (London, England) -- Pictorial works.
- Stratford, Bow
- London Bridge from Bankside
- Clock House. St. Albans
- Windsor in 1812
- Ship breaking. Opposite Wapping
- Sessions House. Clerkenwell Green
- Exeter Change
- Tottenham High-Cross
- Blackfriar's Bridge
- Mill on Wimbledon Common
- Tooting Church
- Tower of London
- Canonbury House. Islington
- Commercial docks
- St. Pancras Old Church
- Demolition of Swallow Street
- Wolsey's Well at Esher, Surrey
- Ballast dredger, off the Tower
- Caxton's House in the Almonry. Westminster.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.