Views in London and its vicinity : complete in forty-eight plates / engraved on copper by George Cooke ; from drawings by Callcott, R.A., Stanfield, A.R.A., Prout, Roberts, Stark, Harding, Cotman, Havell, &c. &c. after the original sketches made on the spot by Edward W. Cooke.
- London : Published by Longman and Co. Paternoster-Row; J. & A. Arch, Cornhill; Hodgson, Boys and Graves, Pall Mall; and Mrs. G. Cooke, Barnes, Surrey, [1826-1834]
- Physical Description:
- 8 p.,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .C66 1834+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Comprises 48 full-page engravings with guard sheets, accompanied by letterpress "Descriptions of the plates" (8 p.). Thirteen views credited to E.W. Cooke in the descriptions. For discussion, cf. Mundy, John. Edward William Cooke. 1996, p. 39-40.
Spine title: Cooke's London.
Illustrations also after James Burton Jr. and William Harvey.
Many of the plates bear imprint: Printed by S.H. Hawkins 53 Warren St.
Originally appeared in 12 parts between 1826 and 1834; projected as 80 plates in 20 parts; no more issued after 1834.
Ray, G.N. Illustrator and the book in England from 1790 to 1914, 26
Adams, B. London illustrated, 149
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind-stamped brown publisher's binding. Gilt-stamped vignette in center of front cover. Bookplate: James Frothingham Hunnewell.
- Subject Terms:
- Cooke, Elizabeth Harriet, 1785-1882, publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1834.Hawkins, S. H., printer.Hodgson, Boys and Graves, publisher.Hunnewell, James Frothingham -- Bookplate.John and Arthur Arch, publisher.London (England) -- In art.London (England) -- Pictorial works.Longman & Co., publisher.Thames River (England) -- Pictorial works.
YCBA Collections Search
Cooke, George, 1781-1834, Views in London and its vicinity , [1826-1834]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.