The costume of the Russian Empire : illustrated by a series of seventy-three engravings : with decriptions in English and French.
- Additional Title(s):
Costumes de l'empire de Russie
- London : Printed for W. Miller ... by S. Gosnell, 1803.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 73 leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1046 .A44 1803+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Fourth in a series of costume books published by William Miller. Plates are copied and enlarged from a book by J.C. Georgi published by W. Müller in St. Petersburg in 1776-1780 in 4 v. Text for this English edition is attributed to William A. Alexander. A new edtion of this book appeared in 1804 with Bulmer as printer, uniform with the others in the series printed or reprinted this year. A reprint of the second edition is represented by Abbey T 245. Cf. Abbey.
Added title page in French: Costumes de l'empire de Russie ...
Stipple engravings by J. Dadley.
Leaf of descriptive letterpress in English accompanies each plate with text translated into French on verso.
Printed by S. Gosnell, Little Queen Street, Holborn.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 702
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Kaa18
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 192
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 244
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-stamped calf with armorial stamp on front and back. Arms on the binding are probably those of Frederick Howard, fifth Earl of Carlisle. Paper watermarked 1796. Contains dedication.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Russia.Costume -- Russia -- Pictorial works.Frederick Howard, fifth Earl of Carlisle -- Binding.Gosnell, S. -- Printer.Miller, W. -- Publisher.Russia -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Russia -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1803.
- Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
Alexander, William, 1767-1816, The costume of the Russian Empire , 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.