IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Harding, Edward, Costume of the Russian Empire , 1811
Costume of the Russian Empire : illustrated by uparwards of seventy richly coloured engravings.
- London : Printed by T. Bensley ... for John Stockdale ..., 1811.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1046 .H37 1811+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1046 .H37 1811+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Reprint, except for the letterpress title page, of a book published by Harding in 1803, as is shown by the engraved title and the plate imprints. Stockdale also published an edition in 1810. Most of the plates in this work, as those in Miller's edition, are based on a book by Georgi published in St. Petersburg in 1776-80. The corresponding plates here however have had slight scenic backgrounds added and there are minor changes of stance and gesture. The plates which appear here and are not in Miller's version are no. 7, 35, 39, 41, 44, 48, 51, 62, and 65-73. Cf. Abbey.
Dedication signed by Edward Harding.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 246
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled red morocco. Text is watermarked 1809. Plates 1810. Copy 2 bound in navy blind- and gilt-tooled morocco. Armorial bookplate: John Barton. Contains added engraved title page.
- Subject Terms:
- Barton, John -- Bookplate.Bensley, T. -- Printer.Clothing and dress -- Russia.Costume -- Russia.Russia -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Russia -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1811.Stockdale, John -- Publisher.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.