Cowen, William, 1797-1860, Twelve views in Corsica , MDCCCXLIII 
- Twelve views in Corsica / drawn, etched, and published by W. Cowen ; dedicated, by permision, to Earl Fitzwilliam.
- [London] : To be had of W. Cowen, Gibraltar Cottage, Thistle Grove, Old Brompton, London; and all respectable book and printsellers, MDCCCXLIII 
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC203.9 .C69 1843+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title page printed in red.
The present illustrations wre reused, with two additions, in the author's Six weeks in Corsica.
BAC: British Art Center copy is a large paper copy with proofs before letters (on India paper). Prospectus announcing the publication tipped in before t.p. Bound in blind-stamped blue cloth binding.
- The room in which Bonaparte was born, with its furniture as it existed in his juvenile days -- Exterior view of Bonaparte's house -- Napoleon's grotto where he retired to study in his youth -- The Gulf and city of Ajaccio, and Torre Di Capitello, where Napoleon commenced (in1793) his military career -- Saint Lucia, Campo Di Loro, near Ajaccio -- An ancient fort and distant view of Bastia -- A ruined convent, at one period the House of Parliament, Corte -- The entrance into Bastia -- The Port of Bastia, Lion Rock, &c. -- Prospect from the room of Napoleon's birth place -- The Port of Ajaccio, the fountain of Napoleon, Hotel de Ville, &c. -- The Castle of Corte.
- Subject Terms:
- Corsica (France) -- Pictorial works.Cowen, W. -- PublisherEtching -- Specimens -- 1843.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Homes and haunts -- France -- Corsica -- Pictorial works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.