Cozens, Alexander, approximately 1717-1786, Principles of beauty, relative to the human head , MDCCLXXVIII 
- Principles of beauty, relative to the human head / by Alexander Cozens.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Alternative title: Principes de beauté
- London : Printed by James Dixwell, MDCCLXXVIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 15, , 15,  p, , 2-17 leaves of plates : ill. (engravings) ; 53 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsL 119.6 (Folio A)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The text is in English, followed by a French translation.
The French text has a separate title page reading : Principes de beauté, considerés rélativement à la tête humaine. Par Alexandre Cozens (1777).
Evidently the 2 texts in this vol. were never issued separately, despite their discrete identities, and conflicting dates on the respective title pages.
Includes a list of subscribers.
Seventeen of the plates have accompanying engraved tissue overlays representing hairstyles of the day.
NLM copy has the French title leaf and dedication leaf interleaved in the English preliminary matter.
Wellcome cat. of printed books, II, p. 403
Blake, J. NLM 18th cent., p. 102
ESTC (RLIN) T10183
- Subject Terms:
- Anatomy, Artistic.Anatomy, Artistic.BeautyFaceFace in art.Face in art.Facial expression.Facial expression.HairHeadHead in art.Head in art.
- Popular Works
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.