Principles of beauty, relative to the human head / by Alexander Cozens.
- Additional Title(s):
Alternative title: Principes de beauté
- London : Printed by James Dixwell, MDCCLXXVIII 
- Physical Description:
- , 15, , 15,  p, , 2-17 leaves of plates : ill. (engravings) ; 53 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsL 119.6 (Folio A)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The text is in English, followed by a French translation.
The French text has a separate title page reading : Principes de beauté, considerés rélativement à la tête humaine. Par Alexandre Cozens (1777).
Evidently the 2 texts in this vol. were never issued separately, despite their discrete identities, and conflicting dates on the respective title pages.
Includes a list of subscribers.
Seventeen of the plates have accompanying engraved tissue overlays representing hairstyles of the day.
NLM copy has the French title leaf and dedication leaf interleaved in the English preliminary matter.
Catalogue of printed books in the Wellcome Historical Medical Library, II, p. 403
Short title catalogue of eighteenth century printed books in the National Library of Medicine p. 102
English short title catalogue, T10183
- Subject Terms:
- Anatomy, Artistic.Anatomy, Artistic.BeautyFaceFace in art.Face in art.Facial expression.Facial expression.HairHeadHead in art.Head in art.
- Popular Works
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Cozens, Alexander, approximately 1717-1786, Principles of beauty, relative to the human head , MDCCLXXVIII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.