IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Cox, David, 1783-1859, A series of progressive lessons intended to elucidate the art of landscape painting in water colours, 1812
A series of progressive lessons intended to elucidate the art of landscape painting in water colours.
- Additional Title(s):
Painting in water colours
- Second edition.
- [London] : Published by T. Clay, No. 18, Ludgate Hill, London, 1812.
- Physical Description:
- 30 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2420 .C68 1812+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2420 .C68 1812+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- First published in 1811. Cox's name does not appear in the book until the fifth edition in 1823. Cf. Bicknell.
Plates dated 1811.
Printed by J. Hayes, Dartmouth Street, Westminster.
Plates show five views treated progressively and is probably the earliest drawing book to show hand-colored samples of color in the text.
Bicknell, P. Gilpin to Ruskin, 14
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 inscribed: Jacob Hewitt Quare January 31st 1831. Copy 2 bound in red half morocco with marbled boards. Inscribed: Chas. Tomkins.
- Subject Terms:
- Clay, T. -- PublisherDrawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Hayes, J. -- PrinterLandscape painting -- Technique.Quare, Jacob Hewitt -- Autograph, January 31, 1813.Tomkins, Chas. -- Autograph.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Handbooks and manuals.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1812.
Aquatints -- 1812
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1812.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.